Unlocking the equine communication code (i): The ears

October 14, 2018
Your knowledge of horse body language is the key to working successfully with horses. Horses are constantly 'talking' to you and everyone around them, both people and other horses. If we are to have meaningful communication with them, it is up to us to learn their language. If you want to understand what an equine is saying to you...you've got to learn to listen with your eyes. A horse's body language is based on movement first and vocalisations second. Horse body language that seems aggressive or dangerous (to people) is essential for horse-to-horse communication. The trick is in learning how to read horses and then placing yourself in a position of power, trust and respect. A single body signal can also have several different meanings. Because of this, you've got to take into account the context in which it is used and what the rest of the body is saying to grasp the full meaning.

Focus on the ears - they tell you so much

Ears play a huge role in the body language of horses. Horses can communicate virtually nothing without involving their ears.

Ears forward

  • I am looking ahead in my direction of travel.
  • I am focused on something out there, what is that?
  • Hello!
  • I am interested.
  • I am curious.
  • Something has my attention.
  • I am on alert.


One ear cocked back

  • I am paying attention to something behind me.
  • I am aware of something to the side of me.
  • I am paying attention to my rider.
  • I am aware of things in both directions.
  • I am thinking.

Both ears cocked back

  • I am paying attention to something behind me.
  • I am listening to my rider.
  • A polite way of standing next to, or behind, other horses: "I recognise your seniority, no need to kick me," or "I'm boss over you, but relax, I'm not going to get you."
  • I am curious, but I'm not sure...maybe I'll touch it with my nose while my ears watch my back!


Ears pinned back

  • Go away!
  • I am angry
  • I am scared and angry
  • No!
  • Don't hurt me
Ears pinned flat to the skull
  • I am going to attack (usually accompanied by barred teeth and a snaky outstretched head and neck.
Ears pinned back to skull and snaking head/neck = not passive


Ears relaxed to the side

  • I am relaxed.
  • I am content.
  • I am sleepy.
  • I am concentrating/thinking deeply.
  • I am listening for your next command.
  • When flopping while walking: I am thinking.
Ears twitching nervously back and forth
  • I am nervous.
  • I am worried.
  • How can I get away?
  • I am on the verge of panic.











No comments:

Powered by Blogger.